Today is World Down Syndrome Day, and I'm sharing with you this session I made with Lucia and Antonia, two beautiful angels, to help raise awareness for children of special needs.
I'll share some information about Down Syndrome so we can all learn something today – please enjoy and help spread the word!
♥ Lucia, 2 years old ♥
WHAT IS DOWN SYNDROME?
It means someone was born with an extra copy of chromosome 21. 3 copies in total (hence 21 March as World Down Syndrome Day).
There is an increased risk for certain medical conditions such as congenital heart defects, respiratory and hearing problems, Alzheimer's disease, childhood leukemia, and thyroid conditions.
MANY and most of these conditions are now treatable and most people with Down Syndrome lead healthy lives.
All people with Down syndrome experience cognitive delays, but the effect is usually mild to moderate and is not indicative of the many strengths and talents that each individual possesses.
Life expectancy for people with Down syndrome has increased dramatically in recent decades - from 25 in 1983 to 60 today.
Only 1% is hereditary. The other 99% is still a mystery to science. No toxin, food, environment or exposure has been found as the cause. While the only known factor is that it increases with age, the truth is that actually over 80% of babies with Trisomy are born to women under 35.
DOWN SYNDROME TRUTHS
At this moment, there are people with Trisomy 21 who can and who have:
Quality educational programs, a stimulating home environment, good health care, and positive support from family, friends and the community enable people with Down syndrome to develop their full potential and lead fulfilling lives.
♥ Antonija, 4 1/2 years old ♥
People with Down Syndrome are not perfect. Nor are we. They are human. Complete with tantrums, meltdowns, attitude, personality… Truly, wonderfully human… just like you and me.
And just like you and me, people with Down Syndrome are found in every background, every nation, every race, every income, every color of the rainbow.
Support and embrace people with Down Syndrome ♥ We all live in the same world.
Client: Dormeo MK
Campaign: Dormeo sleeper of the month (January)
Photographer: Maja Argakijeva
Asistant photographer: Vladimir Sekulovski
Post production: Kristijan Teodorov
Camera: Kristijan Teodorov
Director and montage: Ognen Shapkovski