I'll share some information about Down Syndrome so we can all learn something today – please enjoy and help spread the word!
It means someone was born with an extra copy of chromosome 21. 3 copies in total (hence 21 March as World Down Syndrome Day).
There is an increased risk for certain medical conditions such as congenital heart defects, respiratory and hearing problems, Alzheimer's disease, childhood leukemia, and thyroid conditions.
MANY and most of these conditions are now treatable and most people with Down Syndrome lead healthy lives.
Life expectancy for people with Down syndrome has increased dramatically in recent decades - from 25 in 1983 to 60 today.
Only 1% is hereditary. The other 99% is still a mystery to science. No toxin, food, environment or exposure has been found as the cause. While the only known factor is that it increases with age, the truth is that actually over 80% of babies with Trisomy are born to women under 35.
At this moment, there are people with Trisomy 21 who can and who have:
- Been able to drive
- Graduate with a college degree
- Live on their own, hold a job
- Fall in love and get married
- Own their own business, pursue their dream career
♥ Antonija, 4 1/2 years old ♥
And just like you and me, people with Down Syndrome are found in every background, every nation, every race, every income, every color of the rainbow.